Thursday, December 9, 2010

Bruce Davidson

One of Bruce Davidson's series is called "Subway" and contains pictures regarding the subways of New York. One image that I like from this series is of two women waiting for a train on opposite sides of a track/divider. They are in shadow so you can't see their facial features.  I like the composition of the photo a lot, because the women and the tracks make up the right part of the photo, but on the left you can see down below to the cars traveling along a road and it makes for an interesting contrast. Another image that I like is of a sunset over the city, with a train traveling along a track in the distance that leads right to the center of the photograph. There are a few things that I do not particularly enjoy about this photo though. In the upper left corner there are dark clouds, but to me there are not enough of them and it is only a distraction from the rest of the photo. If the clouds came into the photo more I think that it would improve the image composition instead of taking away from it. One other image that I like is of white walls covered in grafitti, with a girls head in the bottom of the image, as if she is sitting on a step or something. I like this photo because I think that the graffiti is very interesting, but what really makes the photo work is the girl in the bottom of the image. Without the girl the photo seems quite boring and usual, nothing too interesting. However, when the graffiti and the girl are placed together it makes for a very interesting composition and a unique photograph.

Source: Bruce Davidson: Subway; copyright 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment